Under general supervision, sets up and operates a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
- Fabricate, erect, install, and maintain shop machinery
- Calculate dimensions and tolerance using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and veneer calipers
- Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, machines and materials onto machines
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers or grinders
- Measure, examine and test completed units to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments
- Set controls to regulate machining, or enter commands to retrieve, input or edit computerized machine control media
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform preventative and predictive maintenance on shop equipment.
- Select the appropriate tools, machines and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work
- Troubleshoot and repair shop machinery.
- Write and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Complete daily maintenance and repair logs.
- Communicate with operators from other shifts.
- Maintain and secure work tools.
- Clean and maintain work area.
- Turn off and lock out equipment when not in use.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisory personnel.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform preventive maintenance according to published guidelines.
- Ability to interpret technical manuals.
- Skill in production of parts with extremely close tolerances.
- Ability to repair, dis-mantle, install or move machinery and mechanical equipment.
- Knowledge of maintenance and repair of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Ability to perform inspections and make necessary adjustments to conform to job specifications.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade
- Maintains knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
- Demonstrates proficiency in knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control and costs
- Demonstrates knowledge of design techniques, tools and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings and models
- Consistently displays ability to troubleshoot, solve complex problems, maintain equipment, actively listen to instructions from supervisors, use logic and reasoning to determine alternative solution
Education/Training and/or Special Qualifications:
A mix of education and experience which would enable the employee to correctly perform the duties and responsibilities listed above, and at least 2 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Physical Requirements and Environment:
- Work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, bio-hazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
- Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 60%) of job.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- During customer site visits, exposure to wide variety of potential hazards that require following extensive, customer mandated safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
- Work includes the need for finger dexterity, arm-hand steadiness, multi-limb coordination and manual dexterity
Join Our Team!
LARON Incorporated, is looking for safe, skilled, motivated, enthusiastic and energetic people who value quality to work in the dynamic industry of: machining, fabrication, millwright services, electrical equipment repair and manufacturing, new equipment sales, and predictive maintenance. Laron is the industry leader – “Excellence in Quality and Service”.
Laron is an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP), which means as a valued employee you become a shareholder. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes; Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Paid Time off and more.
LARON is a Drug-free, Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity in the workforce. If you are interested in any career opportunities at LARON, please start the employment process by clicking on the desired job posting title.